Sunday, November 29, 2009

Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

My daughter is 3 and has VERY thick, very curly (african-american) hair. On one hand, my husband and I hate the idea of relaxing or straightening her hair b/c we don't want her to think kinky hair is "bad" or have self-image issues when she gets older. However, it's a chore trying to do her hair! It's starting to dread up, we can't comb or barely brush it and we don't want her to cry. I don't have a lot of time to spend doing her hair each day so most days I just brush it back in a pony tail and it's big and puffy and curly (very cute) but all dreaded up in the middle.



I'd like to hear some advice/feedback from other parents about doing their daughter's kinky/curly/thick hair. I'd also like to hear from parents who have used relaxers on their daughter's hair. What was the result? How young is too young? Thanks (I hope I don't offend anyone, we really just want some feedback and hope we make the right decision).



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

DO NOT RELAX HER HAIR! She is way too young, the chemicals will harm her hair...she's just a baby. When combing her hair take small sections with a moisturizer or oil like Pink Oil or Hot 6 Oil and comb it while holding the hair in your hand so that you do not hurt her scalp. After releasing all of the tangles, brush her hair thouroughly. Do this every night because African hair is prone to being tangled because it is curly and thick. Another idea is to braid her hair or pay someone to braid it for you and it will be much easier to manage. Consult a local African American beauty shop on how to care for her hair...and pay to have them show you. But please don't put any chemicals in the baby's hair. Good luck. I wouldn't start with relaxers until she is at least 10 or better yet 12. You dont want to damage her hair.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

i wouldn't reccomend relaxers for anyone's hair.



please check out the Environmental Working Group's "Cosmetics Database," and search for any relaxer.



http://www.cosmeticdatabase.co... Report It



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

As someone who has curly hair, and tried a hair relaxer, and had most of my hair fall out (thankfully, it grew back again), I am totally against doing anything unnatural to hair. Leave it the way God made it.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

I think 3 years old is too young. Have you tried to press her hair? Perhaps braids will work. Every few weeks you can have her hair braided and that will keep it from going wild. Using a good conditioner will help to de-tangle the hair and keeping it oiled and moisturized will help too. Please do not put a perm in your baby's hair. She is just too young and the chemicals are really bad for her.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

Its never too young, as long as you always continue to do it, and have it become a daily routine.. also, the next time she gets her haircut, you could have the salon thin it. theyy use a razor on some parts of you hair, and they have these specail scissors, and that helps. but in about any hair salon, you can find a cream for realxing hair. its affordable, and lasts, and works.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

Getting two around in the AM is a chore in it's self. It will be all better in a few years. A conditioner or detangler is less dangerous for the youngling. Think safety.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

If its that hard to comb and maintain then I would suggest you put the relaxer in it and it will be easier to do everyday. Then later maybe you could take it out and it will be less stressful to take care of.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

Don't use a relaxer on her hair and braids are a worse option. It is not a matter of self image, but the idea of using a chemical on a three year old is not good.



Your question is also very mixed; you mention self image, you don't want her to cry, then you don't have time to do her hair! I am not quite sure where the problem lies.



My daughter also had thick, very long hair. It was more of a wavy/curly type, but still required a bit of time to do it. I would use a conditioning spray as I sectioned each piece. If the hair is damp, it makes it a little easier to comb. Believe me, I went through a lot of products before I found what worked. Another option would be to do her hair the night before and put a scarf on her head. Since she cries you will need to make time to do her hair slowly and gently. It takes time, so you will have to make time. Her hair will become "trained" to a certain extent, and will become easier to comb.



Another option is to take her to a professional once a week for a light press. Also, at three, you should have her ends trimmed periodically.



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

Radius, please dont use a relaxer on your babies hair. First off she is still a baby, something could go wrong. Take her to a professional person to have her hair thinned out, and maybe a small cut. Also, in the stores you can find stuff you can spray in the hair to keep out the tangles.Also, since I have the kinky type of hair, I use part conditioner and water in a spray bottle and spray my hair. This leaves it more managable to do what I want with it.



God bless you!



Relaxer for 3 yr old's hair?

Here's my experience from when I was a child wit relaxers



When I was young I use to have long hair, it was also thicker then it is now. My mother started putting relaxers in my hair when I was a kid and it cause problems to a point that now my hair won't grow past a certain length. The relaxer caused a lot of damage to my hair and there were times that my hair break off. Now that I'm an adult my hair is the hardest thing to deal with personally. I do use relaxers, but over time the damage done from when I was a kid has made my hair incredibly thin (not as thick but still pretty thick), as well as the fact tat I want my hair to grow down my neck and it's impossible to do (even with salon help).



I don't really blame my mothter @ all. I live in an area where striaght was the style and I tried to follow. It didn't cause any self image problems but I wished we waited until I was a little older.



Another part of the problem was that back then there were no kid's products of relaxers and I was using adult products. Most of the time we had no clue what we were doing. Here's some help on your question by Sally's:



Q: My 10 year old daughter wants her hair relaxed. Is she too young?



A:



Years ago, relaxers for children were unsafe and unpredictable. Today, relaxers are much gentler on the hair and scalp and can be controlled. In fact, several manufacturers make relaxer kits just for children. Try Soft %26amp; Beautiful Just for Me! No-Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer-Children's Regular Formula or Dark %26amp; Lovely Beautiful Beginnings No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer System for Children.



http://www.sallybeauty.com/content/faqs/...



Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
internet security